September 3, 2019

collections: black & white transferware





As Halloween approaches, we start seeing more and more spooky holiday décor everywhere we go. I like to pace myself and enjoy the September fall décor that’s so cozy, but the truth of the matter is when we spot something perfect for Halloween, we have to grab it up now!  

Sure, we’re more than a month and a half away from Halloween, but I start thinking about table décor now for that special holiday, and the perfect all-around look for and elegant Halloween-themed dinner involves black transferware. 

It’s something I like to look for all year long, but shops like Home Goods, World Market and Target often have great black and white plates this time of year.   




And black and white is so easy to mix with other colors and styles of plates. Last year I paired this transferware, Johnson Brothers' Black Asiatic Pheasant, with green cabbage plates for an elaborate Harry Potter  inspired dinner party for Romantic Homes. 




A few years before, I used these same plates for an elegant dinner party. This striped runner accented the plates perfectly and white pumpkin plates were used for the salad course.




Of course, orange accessories are a no-brainer when it comes to Halloween. All I added were brightly colored napkins and votives for just the right amount of pop. Tea stained cheesecloth is a great substitute for cobwebs and adds a more interesting effect to the table.   




This year’s table uses softer stripes and another style of pumpkin plate, which I can’t get enough of! This look is more fun and vibrant and the colored glass reminds me of candy.  




Here’s another pattern I love. Spooky black roses are perfect for Halloween and it reminds me of the interesting vignettes that Roger's Gardens creates every Halloween. 




I don’t know why, but some plates with birds are just creepy enough for this fun holiday....

But my love of black  and white transferware doesn't stop at Halloween. There are plenty of patterns that are lovely for other holidays as well. Take Christmas for example...




This pattern happens to be a black transfer printed design, but then they go in and had color a few details with red and green. 




One of my all-time favorite patterns is this Joyeux Noel plate. I've used it several times over the years in slightly different ways. These plates look so pretty accented with all green and white. 




Black and white gingham is a fun contrast to the simple pattern of these plates, either with a gingham check dinner plate or...  




Linens like this large patterned table runner paired with mini-check napkins. I just love this look! Do you remember it from the December issue of Romantic Homes? Don't you miss that magazine so much? I do!!




Here are the deer plates paired with the “Halloween” plates I love so much. Not bad...  




All in all, I do have a special place in my heart for black and white transferware, and it proved to be just the right choice for accenting my dining room wall too! 


  
ciao! fabiana 






1 comment:

Catherine said...

Thanks Fabiana for this black and white post! Don't think I would have thought of this scheme for Halloween and Christmas. Absolutely adore the pumpkin and the dear dishes! You always have gorgeous table settings!

sub



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

more recent posts...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...