July 27, 2019

blue plate special

20 times blue plates stole the show      




As you may know, I love blue and white plates. They’re my “go to” item when setting a table, so today I’m sharing twenty of my favorite ways to set a table with blue and white dishes, mostly transferware.




You often see me layer plates of different sizes at a place setting, and my preferred way is to highlight a pretty plate right on top.
                     



Typically I use an interesting salad plate and place it on a plain white dinner plate. That way the pretty plate is framed out and sitting right on top where everyone can see it.




When I do change it up a bit, it’s fun to experiment with different blue and white patterns or mix in different colors of transferware.




I also love interesting borders on dinner plates. You can reverse the look with a white salad plate, and frame it out and just show the pretty pattern along the outside edge of the larger plate.




I’m thinking about starting a series of blog posts about using blue and white china with other colors like green, turquoise, yellow, orange or pink, and highlighting a different color combination each week. 

Would you guys be interested in this?




To further accentuate this look, I love using a natural texture as a base for the plates. I have a small collection of round and rectangular raffia placemats that work perfectly with the blue and white.




Wooden charger plates also do the trick and bring the perfect amount of texture to the table.  




We can’t forget about the napkins! Typically, I love a graphic pattern like a stripe or gingham as a juxtaposition to the mostly floral patterns on the plates, but simply textured and luxurious linen napkins are my latest obsession!




Table runners are more versatile than tablecloths, and I love how they let a little bit of the table show through. It’s a great look to add naturally textured placemats or chargers with your choice of fabric for the table.




And of course glassware is the final glistening touch to any table. I just love vintage colored glass, especially the goblet shaped variety. (Stay tuned for a blog post on glassware soon!)




With blue and white on the rest of the table, it’s just so pretty to continue the look with the blue glasses as well, but sometimes it’s fun to change it up a bit!




I love the look of this fuchsia colored orchid with the bright cobalt blue of these vintage plates. This castle adorned plate is the only one I have, but it works flawlessly with lots of other blue and white patterns. 
  



Teeny weeny bread and butter plates also look exquisite stacked on top of the larger plates. Don’t be afraid to layer, layer, layer!




Utensils can be an unassuming accent, or really make a bold statement… it’s up to you!




Blue and white pattern-on–pattern is a fun look. It’s almost like selecting pillows for your couch, haha. See how the stripe in the table runner, the intricate design in the plate and the mini print of the napkin all play off each other?   




These Blue Pheasant plates and napkins designed by Mark D. Sikes totally coordinate for a whole different look. 




It’s always s fun to have a little coastal accent on a table, either with the plates or placemats, or in the centerpiece. 




Blue and white works flawlessly for any holiday or celebration, and it’s simple enough to use in everyday life too.  




I’d love to hear your favorite way to set a table with blue and white plates...





Do you mix it up or do you like everything to match?










ciao! fabiana


No comments:

sub



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

more recent posts...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...