March 23, 2018

my favorite and best framing





From the moment I saw it, I immediately fell in love with this large photograph of Santa Monica beach by Jessica Cardelucci It brought back fun memories of when my husband and I were dating, and we’d frequent this same beach! 

Jessica’s an acquaintance of mine, and I’ve always loved her beautiful photographs, so since I was already a fan of hers, I knew I had to have one of her amazing beach shots, and this one was perfect! Well, that was about a year ago 😏, so...

Fast forward to earlier this year, and my poor beach photo was still sitting in the closet, all rolled up in a cardboard mailer. My husband had recently had a few things for his office framed so he suggested I go to Best Framing in Costa Mesa.




Everyone at Best Framing is super friendly and knowledgeable, and they suggested that I have this piece framed with what’s called a "raised float" effect. Samples with similar beach photos were on the wall, so I could see exactly how it was going to look. This technique is so cool that I wanted to share the step by step visual account of how my piece was framed.




With a raised float, the artwork is dry mounted to an acid free foam board to keep it flat, then it was raised a 1/4" up off of the matting to give it a floating effect and reveal the torn edge of the artwork. 




The print doesn't sit up against the glass, and what’s really cool is you get sort of a shadowbox effect. The end result is a very unique modern look.




The white on white combination with a bright print really makes the artwork pop! Since my photograph was dry mounted and completely flat, it gives a very crisp look to the finished product. 




The raised float does cost a little more than traditional matting, since it’s a pretty labor intensive framing style. The artwork is built up and with custom spacers on the inside of the frame to keep the artwork off of the glass. 




What's nice is that this style reveals all the way to the edge of the artwork where traditional matting needs to cover about 1/8" all around. 




Artwork with deckled edges or images that go all the way to the edge of the paper look great with this kind of framing style. I especially love watercolors framed this way.




They can also do a raised float with or without the artwork being dry mounted. When it’s not dry mounted, you often see a "wave" to the artwork which can be a nice way to reveal texture in the art piece.

For my large piece which was over 32 x 40, it added about $45 to the total cost. Not too bad for this fabulous look. So now this favorite photo is front and center above our fireplace in the family room. It adds a whole new vibe to the room, and we love it!




ciao! fabiana


For all your framing needs, check out:

1671 Placentia Avenue
Costa Mesa, Ca

949-791-8780








No comments:

sub



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

more recent posts...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...