October 17, 2014

i love Lucy's persimmon cake


Who doesn't love Lucy? Well today, I'm sharing Lucy’s persimmon cake is a recipe that I tasted many years ago, and have often thought about making, especially when autumn rolls around. It’s a sweet and rich cake, and I was so happy to come across the recipe recently in my vintage Celebrity Cookbook by Dinah Shore.  

Luckily, here in southern California, persimmons are just coming into season, and my neighbor has a very fertile tree and always is generous in sharing with us. This recipe originally comes from Lucy’s mother, Desiree and her Aunt Helen and was always a part of their Christmas tradition.  They usually made this cake for gift giving. I'll be trying this recipe this weekend. I hope it’s as good as I remember! 
  

Lucy’s Persimmon Cake
Ingredients
·       2 c. sugar
·       3 T. butter
·       2 c. persimmon pulp
·       1 c. raisins
·       4 c. sifted cake flour
·       grated rind of 1 orange
·       1/2 t. each cloves, allspice, nutmeg
·       1 t. baking soda
·       2 t. vanilla
·       2 c. chopped walnut
·       1 c. dates, finely chopped
·       1 c. milk
·       2 t. cinnamon
·       3 t. baking powder

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter.  Add persimmon pulp, nuts, raisin, dates and orange peel;  mix well.  Sift flour with baking soda, baking powder and spices.  Add flour mixture alternately with milk beginning and ending with flour.  Stir in vanilla.  Turn batter into 2 well-greased loaf pans and bake approx. 1 ½ hours at 300 degrees F.  

Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.  Garnish, if you’d like, with glazed fruits and nuts.  

Persimmons  - photo credit: Two Peas and their Pod.
Persimmon Cake - photo credit:  Jessie Monds



ciao! fabiana










10 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to make this recipe today! I love Lucy!!

Teresa said...

Fabulous recipe. I have 3 pints of the pulp left and I'm going to make more!!

Teresa said...

Great recipe!! Will be making more!

Claudia Fabiana said...

Hope you like it!

Claudia Fabiana said...

I'm so happy you liked it!

Bea said...

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I've been looking for this one. This is closest to my great grandma is recipe with the dates but mine is so old that when I got it out of the file it was mostly blank...so I sure appreciate this one! Will come back and

Claudia Fabiana said...

Let me know how your cake turns out, Bea.

ciaobella said...

Hi thank you for this recipe! I made it last year with our persimmons. How long should I bake if using 4 small loaf pans?

ciaobella said...

Hi thank you for this recipe! I made it last year with our persimmons. How long should I bake if using 4 small loaf pans?

ciaobella said...

Thank you for this recipe! I made it last year with our persimmons. How long should I bake if using 4 small loaf pans?

sub



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

more recent posts...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...